Below is a list of the common Fibromyalgia Symptoms. Some patients experience a few, some experience all of them. I have a list of the symptoms I experience on my symptoms page.
For a printer friendly list of Symptoms of Fibromyalgia, Click Here.
Chronic Pain of Fibromyalgia:
This is the main fibromyalgia symptom that all Fibro Warriors experience. It is described in many different ways and might change depending on situation you are in.
- The pain has been described as throbbing, stiffness (worse upon waking), cramping, stabbing, aching, shooting.
- headaches / migraines
- joint pain
- eye pain
- jaw pain
- hand and feet pain.
- numbness, pins and needles and burning sensations.
Muscle Pain of Fibromyalgia:
- Delayed muscle pain associated with physical exertion or stress: Muscle pain or fatigue 12-24 hours after the event took place. An example would be shoveling snow and your back hurts the next day. It is often typical for a person without Fibromyalgia to have a stiff back the next day. If I shovel snow, I can barely move the next day without going into muscle spasm.
- Pain in the Trigger Points used to diagnose Fibromyalgia
- Morning Stiffness upon wakening
- Muscle Spasm
- Tight, rigid muscles
- Pain moves around the body
Abdominal Symptoms caused by Fibromyalgia:
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Pelvic pain
- Diarrhea / constipation
- Gas / bloating
Allergies Common with Fibromyalgia:
- Urticaria. Chronic hives
- Post nasal drip / runny nose
- Skin problems
Neurological Issues with Fibromyalgia:
- Fibro Fog. Overall lack of concentration and ability to retain information. Forget why you walked into a room.
- Loss of balance. Dizziness. Vertigo (feeling that objects are moving around you when they are not.)
- Inability to retrieve words. I forget the names of common things like glass.
- Lose train of thought. I will often be speaking and forget what I’m talking about in the middle of the sentence.
- Ringing in ears
Psychological Problems with Fibromyalgia:
- Anxiety / panic attacks
- Mood Swings
Reproductive Problems Associated with Fibromyalgia:
- Abnormal menstrual cycles
- Severe cramps
- Lack of ovulation
- Sexual dysfunction: lack of libido, internal vaginal pain during intercourse
Sensitivities Caused by Fibromyalgia:
- Sensitivity to odors
- Sensitivity to sounds
- Sensitivity to light
- Sensitivity to temperature and seasonal changes
- Bad Night vision
- Visual changes. Seeing flashing lights
Sleep problems Associated with Fibromyalgia:
- Unrefreshing sleep. Wake feeling as if you didn’t get any sleep
- Disturbed sleep cycle. Waking multiple times a night
- Restless leg syndrome
- Overwhelming, all-encompassing fatigue that interferes with your daily life.
- Falling asleep at inappropriate times like during dinner or while driving.